March 21, 2011

Visit to Wales

In February we had the opportunity to visit friends in Wales. Owens and Stables both were at Prairie Bible College when we came there in 2005 and we had the privilege to get to know them a little closer over the time. So, we were able to stay at their houses and over a cup of tea chat about times gone by – or sometimes lying ahead. We also visited castles (or what's left of them), abbeys, beaches, parks, and museums. This truly was a time to remember.

Carreg Cennen Castle – and nice weather for a change

Group picture at church
(click on the pictures to see more)

March 07, 2011

Timeline

Things were put on hold last September, but now we're slowly gearing up for our departure. Here's a timeline for 2011:

  • End of January: Madeleine quits working at the University Hospital in Bale.
  • February: Starting the application process for the PNG work permit.
  • 10. – 13. February: Madeleine takes a course on medcine in the tropics.
  • 18. – 28. February: We visit friends in Swansea, Wales.
  • End of March: Markus quits working for NeoVac so he can fully concentrate on departure preparations.
  • Mid April: Due date of our third kid.
  • 5. June: Farewell and dedication service in Switzerland.

  • Mid June: We leave for Three Hills, Canada, so Markus can renew his instrument flying licence.
  • 24. July: MAF orientation in Cairns, Australia.
  • Mid August – mid September: MAF flight standardisation course in Australia.
  • End of September: Departure for PNG for language learning and village orientation.

All dates are only approximations and can anytime be subject to changes from either sides.

February 04, 2011

Wishing for Summer

We haven't seen the sun for days. There's a layer of clouds at about 1000 to 1500ft over ground, put there to stay for days, often weeks. We call it High Fog and after a week with no sun it wrecks the good spirit in even the thoughest persons. The trouble is, that over this grey layer of water droplets the weather is perfect with bright blue skies, but during the week there is no time to go somewhere high enough to make it over it. And that's unnerving.
These are the days when I wish I was in Three Hills where there might be fog but only for a day or two and then it's sunny again. Or when I have to think back to the fall, when everything was still warm and beautiful in little old Sweden. As seen in the following pics:

View of the Swiss Alps (10min drive from home)

Romantik Hotel Rosenlaui where we stayed for our anniversary

For once above the High Fog

Dawn from our living room window

(to see more of these pictures click here)

October 23, 2010

"...neither are your ways my ways"

I've had that feeling for quite a while: that we should delay our departure to PNG for half a year (i.e. to July). Support hasn't come in as quickly as expected for one thing. And a departure in January wouldn't have allowed for time to renew my IFR licence. However, we didn't want to interfere with God's planning, and He's certainly capable to let our support jump to 100% in no time. Understandably, we didn't want to be in the way for that miracle to happen.
So, in the morning of that particular day I prayed: "Lord, let us know what we should do. Whether we should press on to leave in January or if we should stay." I've done likewise several times before, so when I got to bed that evening I wasn't really expecting anything to happen.
Then Madeleine said: "Honey, I think I'm pregnant." Well, I'm not quite sure if she really said "Honey" but she still had my full attention. "How did that happen?" was my question, for the word "unexpected" is not usually used by the highly organised and thouroughly planning Bischoffs. "Well, you know, the bees..." "I know the ways of the bees," I interrupted suspiciously, "but did they do it on purpose?" There have been some discrepancies between the two of us on how many childern make up a comfortable family, so I just wanted to be sure. "Honestly, no secret planning on this one." she assured me.
What could I do but believe her? And really, with a due date in mid-April and another MAF orientation starting in July it was pretty obvious who orchestrated this "accident". Just that His ways are not necessarily my ways. And by the by, God answerd a third prayer request en passant: If we should have a third child or not.

Baby #3